This easy apple galette is one of the simplest desserts you will ever make! It has all the same great taste as apple pie but with less hassle. And it tastes great for breakfast or dessert. Cinnamon buttered apples surrounded by a perfectly flaky dough! Yum!
Easy Apple Galette
Sometimes you just need a really simply dessert recipe that goes over well with everyone! And who doesn’t like apples and cinnamon? This easy apple galette is one of my favorite treats to make. It usually gets polished off in one sitting. And is smells absolutely amazing in the oven while it’s baking!
What I love most about the easy apple galette is it doesn’t require a pie dish. You simply cut up apples, spice them up with cinnamon, sugars and butter, and then dump them out on a rolled out pie dough and fold up the sides! Paint some egg wash on top and sprinkle on more sugar. Finally pop it in the oven and wait until it turns a deep golden brown. You can even bake it on parchment paper making cleanup amazingly easy.
High Quality Ingredients in the Apple Galette
Let’s talk about how important it is to have high quality ingredients. A store bought pie dough works okay for this recipe, but if you really want to make it special, try our easy flaky pie crust dough recipe. You can make it in minutes in a food processor and once you have this pie dough recipe down, you can use it in many other desserts, such as the mini caramel pecan pies or any skillet pies. If you make your own pie dough, consider using a high quality European butter such as KerryGold Butter. The fat content is just a tad higher, but it will make your pie dough taste amazing.
Since we are talking about ingredients, let’s also talk about apples. I’m not a huge fan of the standard red apples for pie. I usually go with a mix of honeycrisp, gala and granny smith. Honeycrisp apples are very special and if you get them at your store, thank your store manager. They tend to go in and out of season by us, but when they are in, I buy a bunch of them! They taste sweet and crisp, and they go perfectly in pie!
Tips for making the easy apple galette:
- Keep the pie dough cold until ready to roll out and use. After rolling it out, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Peel the apples and chop them into small 1/2 inch size cubes and slices. Mix up a few varieties such as gala, honeycrisp and granny smith.
- Mix up the sugars and spices in a bowl and then blend with the chopped apples.
- Dump the apple mix onto the rolled out dough. Dot the top of the apples with butter and a dusting of flour to help absorb juices.
- Fold the edges of the dough towards the center allowing the center apples to show. Bake in a 350 degree oven and wait until the entire galette is golden brown and firm. The longer you bake it, the more flaky it will turn out!