These yummy, easy sweet potato taquitos are the perfect New Year’s food because they are healthy and fulfilling. You might want to try baking these taquitos for your next party and put them on the list for Superbowl food as well!
Okay so I’m still trying to use up bell peppers from the garden and this easy sweet potato taquito recipe is helping to do the trick! I harvested a bunch of bell peppers about a month ago to get them chopped and frozen before winter came. And because we live in sunny southern California, we got another crop of bell peppers this month! I can’t believe it’s December and the garden is still growing!
But let’s not forget the star of this post, the sweet potato! I took a small cutting from a sweet potato from Trader Joe’s and planted it in a big garden pot. Within a month, it produced a vine. After about three months, I used a little hand shovel and removed the soil. Out came three large sized sweet potatoes. I replaced the soil and kept watering it, and just recently I harvested another four sweet potatoes! I took cuttings off of some of those sweet potatoes and planted them in pots as well and they are already producing vines! I read that when the vine turns brown and dies off, it means it’s time to check for potatoes. They also mentioned when the vine browns, the plant is done. But I left mine in and the sweet potatoes just keep coming back!
It’s so much fun to be able to just go outside and grab vegetables from the garden and make a dinner recipe or party food! I feel lucky to have basil, garlic, onions, bell peppers, kale, chard, carrots and sweet potatoes on hand to whip up a quick and easy healthy meal. And I love knowing my produce is chemical and pesticide free! We are trying to go all organic with this garden, and so far, we have been lucky with avoiding pests.
Easy Sweet Potato Taquitos
If you have not made sweet potato taquitos before, you will absolutely love this recipe. It’s an easy to make dinner or party food, and it’s packed full of nutrition! You can make the sweet potato taquitos vegetarian style if you like, or add beef, pork or chicken. You can also make half the recipe vegetarian style and the other half with meat which is great for parties where you might need to offer some vegetarian dishes!
Your family and friends will love these healthy sweet potato taquitos! They make a great finger food for Superbowl parties and holiday celebrations. And the flavors of the sweet potatoes, black beans, grilled onions and bell peppers will have them coming back for more! So make a few trays of these! You can also garnish the easy sweet potato taquitos with cilantro, quacamole, salsa and cheese for an even more yummy taste!
Here are some tips when making the easy sweet potato taquitos:
- Boil the sweet potatoes ahead of time or bake them in the microwave (poke a few holes and wrap in a paper towel) for about 6-8 minutes to soften them up.
- Heat up the tortillas in the microwave wrapped in wet paper towels. Or heat them individually in a sauce pan with a little olive oil coating both sides. This will help to keep the tortillas from braking when you roll them.
- Grill the onions and bell peppers in a pan with Mexican spices such as cumin, chiptole peppers in adobe sauce or hot sauce. Then add in the sweet potatoes, beans and shredded meat to combine.
- Use a toothpick poked through the end flaps of the rolled tortilla to keep the taquito from opening up.
- Drizzle or spray the taquitos with olive oil, and bake them on a heating/cooling wire rack until firm and crispy. The wire rack will ensure that they crisp up in the oven!
- Garnish the sweet potato taquitos with cilantro, cheese and salsa and have some quacamole nearby for dipping!
Here’s the recipe for the easy sweet potato taquitos: