This easy almond puff pastry is flaky and delicious. It’s filled with homemade almond paste which comes together easily in a food processor. We show you how to braid the pastry to get that fancy restaurant cafe look. Serve this almond pastry warm for breakfast or at your next party and you will have everyone talking!
Easy Almond Puff Pastry
You won’t believe how easy it is to make this easy almond puff pastry. You can use a store bought puff pastry and allow it to thaw overnight, or refer to our easy homemade puff pastry recipe here which makes a yummy, flaky pastry. Don’t let making puff pastry intimidate you! It’s actually a fun process and can be very rewarding once that tasty dessert comes out of the oven.
This puff pastry is loaded with homemade almond paste which comes together quickly in a food processor. I’m currently using a KitchenAid food processor and loving it for making pie dough quickly as well as whipping together fresh almond butter. It can make baking so much faster and efficient. The investment is well worth it!
You only need puff pastry, almond paste, sliced almonds, an egg and powdered sugar for this easy almond puff pastry recipe. It’s amazing how just a few key elements can come together to make a breakfast or party dessert taste so good. And this almond puff pastry tastes just like a coffee shop pastry treat, if not better because it’s so fresh out of the oven. Plus, when you make it at home, you entire house fills with the smell of sweet almonds! Yummmmm!!!
Tips for Making an Easy Almond Puff Pastry
- If you are making the entire recipe from scratch, start with making the puff pastry dough (and you might want to make this a day before). You can make puff pastry and freeze it, or buy frozen sheets of it from the grocery. Just remember to thaw it out overnight.
- Make the almond paste base next and set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the puff pastry sheet, transfer to the parchment paper and then cut according to directions below.
- Break apart the almond paste with your fingers and spread throughout the center of the dough.
- Braid the puff pastry so the almond paste is completely covered.
- Brush the top and sides of the almond puff pastry with an egg wash. And sprinkle sliced almonds on top. Bake it up and allow the entire puff pastry to turn a light golden brown. Most pastries and pies are removed from the oven too soon. Make sure the pastry is firm and golden. This will make it more flaky!
- Sprinkle with powered sugar, slice and enjoy warm!